Sunday, May 30, 2010

If in doubt...

... send flowers.

Despite my best resolutions to the contrary, I'm dithering about, with stuff I could post but not getting around to doing it. So just to get myself out of that rut, I'll show you my window boxes.

This is my blue room,



tidied up after Tom and Mol and I had all slept in it for a week.  A rumpled dog-bed in the corner seldom does anything for the style of a place.  The dark blob in the foreground is a brown bean-bag with Molly in it.  She isn't meant to be.  There is a turquoise-blue one she can go in when it's got a blanket in it, but she has developed a bit of a thing about the room and in particular that beanbag.  She is frequently sneaking off and to be found there, convinced, I'm sure, that with enough effort, the thing can be made squashy and dog-smelling enough to be ideal.

I decided it needed some window boxes, so off we went to the garden centre, which is looking its best at this time of year.  Then came the agonising decision-making process, mostly centred around geraniums or not geraniums?  Tom hates browsing and indecision.  My sister and I both love it.

I like geraniums, particularly quite traditional scarlet ones, trailing or upright, I don't mind.  But in the end some miniature, multi-headed sunflowers proved irresistible.





While I'm often up for combinations of flowers and colours others might describe as tasteless, even I could see that sunflowers precluded geraniums.  We've got a book somewhere about growing your own cut flowers, in which the author says that any combo of flowers should contain the bride, the big main bloom in the smallest numbers, the bridesmaids which should be a lesser flower which tones with the bride,and the gatecrasher which should be a striking clashing or complementary colour.  I hasten to add that this is the only thing I have ever read or ever intend to read abut flower arranging theory ( apart from hearing somewhere that you should always have odd numbers of flowers in a bunch, especially in Eastern Europe where it's considered unlucky to give anyone even numbers of them), and generally I rather reject all such prissy prescriptions and proscriptions, particularly when couched in such simpering terms.  But it often does work quite well.

The sunflowers being the bride, the bridesmaid presented herself as orange marigolds - the proper calendula kind not the French or African tagetes,




and blue lobelia also provided the traily, frothy traditional window-box element, as well as being blue for the blue room - quite a well-behaved gatecrasher.



A couple of little patterned ivies finished it off.  So there you are, my kind of gardening really.




13 comments:

Unknown said...

A blissful blue and orange combination.

marja-leena said...

And such a lovely window and ledge to put it in! European houses are blessed with those deep ledges in and out.

Fire Bird said...

beautiful - and I love that pot on the windowsill too, and the blue room all in all looks such a sanctuary. an inspiration to get mine in better shape...

PurestGreen said...

Gorgeous photos. I love the blue room and the first photo of the sunflower- the light is amazing. I had no idea about the tradition of giving flowers that are only odd numbers.

Zhoen said...

Blue room, you saw me standing alone....

The critters find their own places to be comfy, and claim them.

Then there is the Japanese art of flower arranging. Me, I like how wild meadows do it. Yours is pretty close to that.

vicki johnson said...

Oh how fun...delightful.

D. Jean Quarles said...

Lovely flowers!

HKatz said...

Blue is my favorite color. I spent half a minute staring at that photo of the blue room, that blue drape, thinking how totally cool and light and calming and awesome it looks.

And the bright window box flowers are a brilliant touch.

Roderick Robinson said...

It's like watching you walk off into the mist and not being able to follow. The flower thing, I mean. Like Manuel, I know nerthing. I am trying to persuade our newly hired gardener to act as our floribunda surrogate but alas his computer is virtually Neanderthal. Deacon of Hereford Baptist Church and an enthusiastic supporter of the Conservative party he would surely make a more emollient link with this part of Hereford than my grating insistences on chromium plate and conventional electron flow.

I could of course explore Mol's promising relationship with the bean bag but I see I am out of time and our guests need transporting to the Hay Festival. Back to deflowered humanism.

The Crow said...

All the flowers are beautiful shots, Lucy, but that close-up of the calendula in full bloom is breathtaking. Great photos; such deep, almost jewel-like colors.

The glimpse of the boxes through the bedroom windows adds to the sanctuary feel of it.

Beth said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Lucy! And happy too.

Rouchswalwe said...

There is something vivacious about this bride and her bridesmaids that has its perfect setting there in your blue room. The gatecrasher has brought bottles of Belgian Ale to start the dancing, and the ivies are gearing up to sing. Ikebana, the art of Japanese flower arranging, seems a bit lifeless to me in comparison. Maybe that's why Mol loves being in the blue room ~ she hears the special music.

Marly Youmans said...

For some reason I felt compelled to read all your blue room posts...

I like that blue... I had a blue room almost that shade, long ago and far away.

And I like any window boxes with lobelia, and I like growing calendula (and infusing jojoba oil with the flowers.)