Thursday, November 25, 2010

Unseasonable

We shouldn't really be waking up to this at this time of year.


We've not even really had any frost yet; the flowers were still enjoying a last fling,









and the autumn leaves and fruits were still in full swing,




and the hydrangeas were still only mid-purple, their autumn colour, between summer blue and winter brown, as they're really leaves, just posing as flowers, of course.


It's all rather pretty,


but I'd sooner not have to drive out in it tomorrow morning - it's still here tonight.

9 comments:

Julia said...

That is early! Hope the driving goes okay tomorrow and it melts fast.

Catalyst said...

I heard forecasts of snow here but so far we have escaped. Enjoy it, Lucy, it makes for great photos.

Kelly said...

I like the frozen flowers, that is such a rare opportunity to see.

Unknown said...

It's cold here in Kent, but it hasn't snowed yet. I showed your photographs to my camera which began to whimper like a dog aching for a walk.

20th Century Woman said...

This is exactly what happened to us. It was warm until a week ago, the temperature then plunged into the freezer; it snowed for about 3 days. I am sure I lost a lot of plants so suddenly shocked. Now we have a thaw and everything will turn to brown mush.

Lovely pictures, but sad. The frosted rose is very evocative.

Sabine said...

So beautiful!

Zhoen said...

Something tragically beautiful about ice on buds.

PurestGreen said...

Winter has fully arrived in Scotland, just in time for the Christmas markets to open. I think it sends everyone on a shopping frenzy as they suddenly "feel the spirit" of the season. Hot chocolates all 'round. :)

marly youmans said...

I love the Miss Havisham-ish-ness of it all!